Monday 7 April 2014

Touching story of Ryan. An inspiration to all from the Philippines.



Today, we visited a school EEFM Raimundo Tomaz.  One of the students asked me, “What are the key values that I have learnt in life”.  To which I answered – 1. Have a religion, believe in God and prayers, to be able to trust someone and let go; 2. Follow your heart and believe in yourself.

I remember that my team mate, Ryan (Ruby-Ann Singson) who shared a very touching story about herself.  Ryan was supposed to be part of the IBM Corporate Service Corp Brazil 17 team to Fortaleza but was unfortunately unable to join us.  I would like to share her story, in the hope that she will inspire more people.


Here is the story of Ruby-Ann Singson from the Philippines:

At a young age and just like my 3 elder siblings, I was diagnosed with congenital cataract.  While at grade school, I was often a subject for ridicule because the lens required for my spectacles magnified my eyes.  I was called   different names which eventually toughened me and later on, I learned to defend myself with the only weapon I had and knew then – my skills.  Suddenly, I became more than the “four-eyed” girl they knew. But through high school, I had to tolerate the same behavior and although the support from my family and friends helped me live my life as close to normal as possible. I couldn’t wait to leave my hometown and pursue my studies in Manila (the capital).


When I was at the University, I felt less excluded because the environment allowed for everyone to be who they were and do what they loved to do yet managing to survive in the academic arena. I appreciated the liberty to be my own self and I did not permit my disability to deter me from joining clubs, from participating in socio-cultural activities and from eventually getting a degree. So armed with an additional skill (French language), travel experience and tons of optimism, I was ready to conquer the professional world. 


IBM is the 3rd multinational company I worked for and though I started my career as a multilingual practitioner, I took on 5 different roles in my 9 years as an IBMer. My responsibilities as Language Development Program Manager, my current role, include management of various projects in the Manila Delivery Center which are designed to enable employees to learn a foreign language (new learner) and/or to enhance their language skills (existing multilingual resources). This is to support the center’s requirement for multilingual resources. I am happy to be in a company that provides venue for skills development and to witness how language skills are acquired, used and mastered is as fulfilling as being able to speak the language myself.



So allow me to share some tips of survival amidst the rapidly transforming work processes and environment. I may not be with you personally today but if you learn a thing or two from these, I would have accomplished the task I set out to do.

  1. Don’t apologize for who you are and for what you believe in.
The world is constantly changing and the rise in number of globally-integrated enterprises continuously drives cross-cultural interactions and unlimited sharing of skills. These experiences will be valuable but do not allow them to change who and what you are.  Be open to share your time and knowledge with others but learn to distinguish between demonstrating the values you hold on to from compromising them.  Wherever you’re from and whatever your age, color, disability, gender, race, religion, or sexual orientation may be, when you are determined to achieve something in life, you can succeed without losing your identity.



  1. Strive to be a better YOU each time.
I agree that we should not rest on our laurels. Let each achievement inspire you to reach the next goal. If you are good at what you are doing now, be better at it next year, and be even better at it the year after. The availability of resources to up-skill oneself is limitless.  Read. Get trained on a skill and be sure to apply what you have learned.  Be gregarious and interact with as many people from around the globe as you can. Do not be afraid to learn from others. Get a mentor to help you - whether in learning a new language and practicing it or in providing guidance on career planning and skills enhancement. Be a mentor or a coach to someone else – it may be an overused cliché but only with constant practice will you become an expert in what you do.


  1. Go with the flow but collect pebbles and create your own ripples.
While you may are in a job that you like now, aim to acquire new skills. Ask questions. Challenge the normal. We cannot allow our brains to become stale.  Plan ahead. Anticipate difficulties.  We never know when the next big change will happen but when it does, while the others will still be hoping for the best, you would have already prepared for the worst.  You will never know enough unless you’ve explored the unknown. 


  1. Expand your network as early as possible and be gracious at all times.
Who knows, the person you meet at the grocery might just be your next boss! Welcome diversity and celebrate friendships. The ones who stay with you through life’s ups and downs are the friends you’ll keep for a lifetime.

I thank you wholeheartedly for granting me the chance to give something of myself. I wish you all the success as you chase and fulfill your dream.


Thank you Ryan, you inspire me and Brazil 17 team. We missed you and Josie McManus on this Brazil 17 assignment.  But I am sure our paths will cross again!  We know that you have a successful and exciting adventure ahead.  God bless you!

Find out more about IBM Corporate Service Corp #ibmcsc and #ibmcsc brazil at https://www.ibm.com/social/aggregator/corporate_service_corps
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to share your comments